Monday, August 30, 2010

Now it's your turn

This blog is one of the few places I can talk about my injury, and have been doing so for 4 months now. It may seem that all I do is discuss meds, pain, and dentistry all day long, but in real life, actually, I rarely do. Do you?

In fact, I haven't even given my family the url to this blog. I can't discuss my pain at work or risk losing my (temp) job. I can't tell someone I don't know well (like a date), "hey guess what, I'm suffering a long-term injury and am almost always in pain!". I don't want to be a burden to anyone or seem like a freak. They've all got enough going on in their lives. Some are less sympathetic than others. They just don't know how to deal with it.

Everyone just assumes I'm doing fine now, because I've stopped talking about it so much, but this is still a daily issue for me. Every frickin' day. I don't want to sound like a whiner - I can't stand people who complain all the time - and really, how many times can they hear the same thing when they don't know how to respond or make it better?

So, I don't talk to anyone about it, really, except for the readers of this blog. So I want to thank you for reading, I want to encourage you to share your stories, because we all need an outlet or will slowly go crazy. Suffering in silence is no way to live; not for me, anyway.

Maybe you'd just like to get it off you chest how unfair it is that this happened to you, or ask a question, or maybe someone can help with a symptom you're suffering, or vice-versa. This is not a one-way street. Please add comment and include few details of how your injury happened and WHEN, and what you are going through now. Your age, country/state/province, would be helpful, too. There are different treatments and levels of understanding in the medical communities elsewhere. I know that here, in Florida, it's like living in a virtual medical knowledge desert.

Are you working? Are you medicated? Are you completely healed? Are you married/who is your support network? Have you been back to the dentist? Let me know.

If you click on "About Me" off to the right of this section, you'll see more of my background details. This might be a good place to comment and add "about you". Or you can just comment below this post. If you are concerned about revealing your identity (for reasons mentioned above), you can always post as Anonymous.

I also need to attract more readers to this blog...anyone with blogging experience who has tips on how to do that, please advise. There are more people suffering out there, and the more we know, the better chance we have of finding a solution for all of us.

Be well. Have a great day. Know that you can always come here to blow off steam and no one will fault you for it or think you're a "whiner" ;-)

Jane

5 comments:

  1. this was a great post. we are very similar. i don't talk about my injury to the outside world at all, except to my significant other and my mother. but even with my mother, it's very limited. people don't understand how an injury does not heal itself quickly, and they are frightened by pain. my partner has been very supportive and at times, a literal life line. we are very private about this injury and i am grateful for it. i prefer it that way at times, but sometimes i resent the world for not being slightly more compassionate.

    i am a singer; from childhood, i sang every day of my life until this injury happened. now i rarely sing. i'm either too consumed with trying to get better or it just causes too much pain. it's one of my saddest consequences of this injury.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jane my heart goes out to you. You are so brave to put your self out there for others to learn from and compare their own injuries. Unfortunately for what ever reason people out there will not take the risk to share even if they can remain anonymous. I really don't understand this. I mean really, how hard is it to type out a few quick thoughts to share? It means so much to us bloggers to have the connection with others as this is one of the main reasons why we do this. This is one of the reasons that I stopped blogging. A lot of effort goes into the maintenance of a blog so people please take a moment and share!

    Not a day goes by that I don't think about your situation and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. I'm so glad you are coming of the meds. They don't help to heal you that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jane-
    I've had a chance to read several of your blog entries and you are certainly no whiner. Your injury sounds much worse than mine. I am overwhelmed, confused, weepy and my tongue burns most of the time (morning, afternoon, night in varying degrees). I feel my heart going out to you, because I can hardly cope and I don't have anywhere near as much pain as you. I don't really have headaches and I can pull my hair back and touch my face, etc. Along with all the burning and aching in my tongue, I have some tooth pain including the on again off again tooth pain that sent me to the dentist in the first place.

    I feel as if I sound like a whiner or constant complainer at times. My husband has heard me complain and seen me cry for weeks and he doesn't know what to say except to have faith that it will go away and I'll be okay and we'll find a doctor/treatment/way to fix it. What else is a husband supposed to say? I hope and pray he is right.

    I am so thankful for your blog and all the good information and hope I have found here. It's good news to hear you are better than you were several months ago. I’m wishing you continued healing and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Jean, same to you. As you said, your husband is as supportive as he can be; it's really hard for people to understand what this is like. The worst is when people think you're imagining or exagerating it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really lingual nerve injury is a one of the worst condition for the patient. It removes different nerve fiber of the sensory organs of the face. There are available two popular techniques of removoing madibular third molar, namely, the lingual spilt-bone and the buccal approach in relationship to the incidence of a lingual nerve sensory disturbance and those factors that appear to be most associated with its development.
    Microendodontist in Jaipur

    ReplyDelete